SEE BARS – Super Easy Energy Bars: This is my new fruit and nut bars with a bit of chocolate. Cut them in bars for a trail snack to keep your energy up, or cut bite size pieces for a small snack. However you roll, these bars are a perfect punch! SEE the difference in taste by using the best ingredients and making the bar yourself; SEE the savings in not buying prepackaged goods!
*Use natural cocoa, as it is higher in fat, tastes better, and will provide more energy.
*Use a high quality 85% chocolate and no less than 70%
*Look for juice sweetened dried fruit. Not absolutely necessary, but I think they taste better and you avoid processed sugar.
- 1¼ cup pitted, chopped dates
- 2½ Tbs local honey
- 1½ cups rolled oats, finely ground in blender or food processor
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs. oat bran
- 3 Tbs. ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbs. natural cocoa
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- 1 c. raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- ½ c. unsalted, toasted pistachios
- ⅓ c. dried cranberries, preferably sweetened with juice
- ⅓ c. dried blueberries
- ⅓ c. dried tart cherries
- 2 ounces chopped dark chocolate, at least 70% (I use 85%)
- coconut or vegetable cooking spray
- Spray 9 in. pan with coconut spray
- Place dates in small saucepan.
- Add enough water to just barely cover.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 mins.
- Set aside.
- Mix oats, cinnamon, oat bran, flaxseed, cocoa and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add nuts and berries and chocolate.
- Set aside.
- Dates will have absorbed most of the water by now; if more than a tbs or two remains, drain the excess.
- Pour dates and honey into blender or food processor and process till smooth.
- Pour date mixture over dry ingredients and mix until all ingredients are moist.
- Pat evenly into 9 in. prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 mins.
- Cool; cut into bars or small bites